17 May 2014

Writing Scripts, Writing Posts

Here's the thing:  I know I should post more here.  Maybe get down to some of the nitty-gritty details about how I go about writing a script.  Or give a review/analysis of scripts I've been reading and movies I've been watching.  And then I realize:

I spend most writing free time I have prepping upcoming scripts and re-writing previous scripts.  On top of that, I'm putting together a list of places/people to start querying, so there's a lot going.  Still, I'm trying to make an effort (hence this post).  The posts about upcoming scripts is easy enough since I'm just writing about what's showing up down the line -- and most of those posts I have written and just have to slap things together with a few pictures and (hopefully) witty remarks.

I think the issue for me is that it's incredibly time-consuming writing a script -- especially trying for a feature-length one a month.  Even when I'm not physically writing, I'm writing.  The scenes I've written play out in my head and then the scenes I've yet to write roll, usually with slight variations here and there -- you know, to test out what might just work and what might not only work but also lead to other ideas and scenes.  I'd say about a third of the time, most of those thoughts and ideas for scripts I'll be tackling later on.  

The easiest part of writing is asking "What if...?" 
The hardest part is trying to find a worthwhile answer.
I think one reason I'm not doing much here about what I go through is because I don't know if it's really all that interesting.  I mean, it is for me, but that's because I have to make it interesting.  If I'm working on an idea, I have to be compelled to keep on it or else I get bored and scrap it (usually just for the time being since you never know when inspiration for that specific idea might come).  So basically, everything I'm working on and planning on working on is really interesting to me.  And anything I do to transform that idea into a viable screenplay is really interesting to me.  Otherwise there'd be little to no point for me to keep at it.

On top of everything, when I see that the traffic for this blog is practically nil, it's hard to find the motivation to post every day or even every other day.  And sure, there's little to no people reading the scripts I'm writing (right now), but my job is to write screenplays.  Writing a blog is an offshoot of writing scripts.  And it's nice to have a kind of sounding board during the process.  Plus, at the end of all this, I'll have a public record of what I accomplished -- provided I don't burn out or get an offer that requires me to move on to bigger and better things before the end of February 2015.

Sorry, but one of these would have me saying "Later" to any 12 in 12 scripts on the docket.
And to be honest, it wouldn't even take this much.

No comments:

Post a Comment